Cherries Background

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Master Freezer Jam Formula

I feel like a moron.  Every time I make freezer jam I screw it up somehow.  You look at the recipe and think, "Anyone could make this!" and then I screw it up!

I like to think it's not entirely my fault.  According THIS ARTICLE that I found online, Sure Jell is up in the night with their freezer jam recipe.  I used the master freezer jam recipe included in the aforementioned article and FINALLY my jam set.  I want to put these instructions in a place I will find them again.  Here.

Master Freezer Jam Formula (Same for any fruit)
4 cups fruit
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups sugar
1/3 cup pectin (the amount contained in one box of Sure Jell).
Bring the fruit to a boil with the lemon juice, then add the sugar and return to a boil, then finally, add the pectin and boil the mixture hard for 1 minute.
That's 1 minute, not five, not even 1½. In this case, more is not better.
If you overboil it, you boil the 'set' right out of it,
The lemon juice acts as a catalyst to help the pectin do its job. The 2 tablespoons in the master formula is calibrated to bottled lemon juice, which has a consistent level of acidity; for that reason, it is advised against using fresh lemon juice.
And THIS is a nice little website explaining how to measure strawberries, which I always have to reference when making freezer jam.
1 quart of berries = 1 1/2 pounds of berries = 4 cups of berries
1 pint of berries = 3/4 pounds of berries = 2 cups of berries
Most recipes call for 1 quart of strawberries.

NO-FAIL Freezer Jam- Seriously even Strawberry Jam Sets
2 Cups Fruit
1 1/2- 2 Cups Sugar
1 small (3 oz. pkg) Jell-O

Wash and prepare fruit blending to the desired consistency.  Bring Fruit and sugar to a boil, add Jell-O and boil for 1 more minute.  Put in freezer safe containers and allow to cool for up to 24 hours to set.  Put in the freezer for up to one year.

*Note to self, when making jam, do it one batch at a time, not all at once, or you will burn the jam.  Jam fail #22

No comments:

Post a Comment