Cherries Background

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles

I love making this recipe for my family in the winter when a nice warm soup is so comforting.  Making noodles always reminds me of my Grandma F., who was a master at making the thinnest noodles by hand.  Whenever she made it, she always told me a story about Mrs. ?, who she worked for at a young age as a housekeeper and a nanny.  Mrs. ?, she claimed could make the noodles so thin that you almost couldn't see them.  Now every time I make noodles, it is my goal to see how thin I get get them.

But, this time Sweetheart, Buddy, and T-Man wanted to get in on the action and I love cooking with my kids, so I had to live with a few fat noodles, but the soup was still delicious.  Z says he likes the fat noodles the best anyways :)

 I gave each child a section of the noodle dough and a pizza cutter and let them go to town.

 Even Buddy was very careful and did a terrific job and he is only 3!

 T-Man works his tongue when he is thinking hard, just like his dad.

Our finished product ready to boil in the soup!

Homemade Noodles

Combine 1 beaten egg, 2 tablespoons milk, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.  Add enough sifted all-purpose flour to make stiff dough, about 1 cup.  Roll very thin on floured surface; let stand 20 minutes.  Roll up loosely; slice 1/4 inch wide; unroll, spread out and let dry 2 hours.  (If desired, store in container until needed.)  Drop into boiling soup or boiling, salted water and cook uncovered about 10 minutes.  Makes 3 cups cooked noodles.

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable broth
1/2 pound chicken breast, sliced into bite-sized pieces
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed (or fresh vegetables if you want to go the extra mile)
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Cook onion and celery in butter until just tender, 5 minutes. Pour in chicken and vegetable broths and stir in chicken, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, boil for 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through, add vegetables and noodles and cook for 10 more minutes, simmer until ready to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment