Cherries Background

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Omelets

 For January, I tried to plan meals that were more on the low carb side of life to fulfill some New Year's resolutions for me and the hubby.  I wasn't sure how the kids would take to omelets as they have never been big egg eaters.  So to make the adventure more enjoyable, I used my mini-muffin pans and whipped up a batch of banana muffins to go with the meal.  You can see that T-Man made his a banana muffin man.

 To make meals more exciting at our house, I think it is always fun to have a lot of different choices for mix-ins.  The kids feel some independence in making their own creations and are willing to try new things because they feel like they are inventing a recipe.

The omelets were a hit, even Buddy ate his all gone!

Directions:
I gave each child a mixing bowl, whisk, and two eggs.  I let them each crack their own eggs (even Buddy who is 3).  Letting them crack their own eggs makes the meal even that much better for them!  Then I had them beat the eggs in their mixing bowls.

Next, the kids got to choose their own mix-ins from the following:
Peppers
Mushrooms
Onions
Cheese
Ham
Turkey
Bacon

This was our list of mix-ins, but there are so many more ingredients that you could use.  Each took their desired amount of mix-ins and added them to their mixing bowls and then whisked them all together.

Finally, heat a frying pan to medium-high heat, melt some butter.  Dump the whole content of the child's mixing bowl, fry for a few minutes until browned, then flip.  Give it a few minutes more and TA-DA, individualized omelets.  If you want to be fancy, you could sprinkle some parsley on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment